Monday, July 11, 2011

Introducing Lexy



          Greetings! My name is Lexy Ferreira. I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and lived there until the age of 3. Then my mom moved my family to California and I have been here ever since.  I grew up in Spring Valley, CA an unincorporated city of San Diego County. In fourth grade I switched elementary schools because we moved to the other side (the nicer side) of Spring Valley close to Mount Helix/Casa De Oro.  I went to Spring Valley Middle school and was ASB Vice President. For high school I attended Valhalla in El Cajon, CA and graduated class of 2006. I went straight to college in August of 2006 to a private university called Dominican in Northern CA. I loved the school but unfortunately after the first year it was just too expensive to continue there.  I loved Northern CA so I decided to get my own apartment with a friend up there and go to College of Marin, the closest community college to Dominican. I spent two semesters at College of Marin then my living situation with my “best” friend went sour. In other words that girl is not my friend anymore and I haven’t talked to her since the day I moved out of that apartment in San Rafael, CA. A girl who I had also meet at Dominican offered me her place to live at in San Jose, CA and that’s where I moved too with plans of going to San Jose State. However, my life took another direction after only spending the summer in San Jose with her and I moved to Petaluma, CA with my boyfriend, his area of choice. There, I attended the local college called Santa Rosa Junior College for a semester. Then I was able to transfer to Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, CA where I graduated in December class of 2010. I have my Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies from SSU.  Although I loved Nor Cal I felt coming home to San Diego was the best option for me. I attended Point Loma Nazarene University in their MAT program, which is Masters of Arts in Teaching and a teaching credential in basically the same amount of time as just the teaching credential. I loved the idea of that, however; Point Loma was not the school for me and with the amount of money I was spending to go there I believe I should have been happy, which was not the case (long story definitely would love to elaborate on that in the future). Now with all that said here I am at Cal State San Marcos where I plan to stay and get my multiple-subject teaching credential with a masters in education in the near future as well.
            

          I like to believe that I am computer savvy and somewhat good with technology.  Computers have been in my life since elementary school and going to the computer lab as part of our class schedule once a week was exciting. My family even purchased a computer (Mac) when I was about 9 years old. However, my high school and college career was spent working with a PC. I recently, after many nightmares, have gone back to a Mac. Part of the reason why I think I am so good with computers is because of all my nightmares with my DELL (worst CPU ever!). Several crashes and viruses and anything you can think of that went wrong did, but I learned so much from having to fix it and re-download programs etc. I still have my DELL and it works because I was always able to “fix” it, but I think it is better off sitting in the spare bedroom in the top drawer of some random nightstand. I am glad I am familiar with both operating systems though. The Internet I am not so familiar with, (I know I am WAY more than your average Joe but I’m talking compared to other computer savvy people.) I have a lot to learn but believe it will come easy once I catch on.  In my second life I would like to study computer science because I do enjoy technology. 
            

          The mission statement of CSUSM/SOE was not a deciding factor in my decision to go to this university, however; I just read it and it does confirm my decision. As a Liberal Studies major I have explored and taken classes in an array of departments, which has been advantageous because I now have a well-rounded education. I have been trained to be a lifelong learner and to always think outside the box and look at the bigger picture. The Hutchins School of Liberal Studies at Sonoma State University is a unique program that focuses on reflective teaching, which is stated in the CSUSM mission statement. My desire for this type of education, critical thinking, and being a reflective practitioner that is part of a diverse team where everyone can bring different ideas and experiences to the classroom is what I believe important and crucial. This mission statement defines what education is to me and what  I am committed to providing for my future students.

2 comments:

  1. It is a real relief to hear that people can spend a whole bunch of money on school and not be happy. I was also unhappy with SDSU at times for the amount of money that I was spending. I felt as though the classes at Grossmont were harder. I am happy that I am now at San Marcos where I know that I will be getting my money worth. Im happy that we are computer buddies :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lexy,
    We have so much in common. My sister lives in Petaluma. I just moved back from living in Hawaii for 11 years and I graduated from PLNU:)

    ReplyDelete